Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Crunchy


I survived yet another fun-filled, hippie-dippy, freak-show,weekend... Ahhhh the memories!
Mountain Jam, Hunter Mountain, NY.

I considered paying for this costly event as there were a few bands I wanted to see, but luckily my friends were working a booth and invited me with them. Free tickets for camping and music for hanging out and selling beautiful Tibetan items, no problem.

The bands were good. Some better than others, but good. I finally got to see Michael Franti & Spearhead play. I have been listening to them for about a year or so, but more so the past few months. Their music is good, but their lyrics are great and that is what really moves me with this band (ok, that and Franti is so hot!!!). Franti speaks out about the war and the lying... he talks about truth and injustice. He motivates people to be aware, and God knows we need to be. When he did the song, "Time to Go Home" I felt like I was yelling for my younger brother and sisters to come back from their hell hole. I think of the students in my class and wonder how many of them will end up in Iraq if this chaos doesn't end soon. I teach them not to fight, to be aware, to question "the man". What if the man sends them away and undoes all that we have taught them? Use your head, not your fists... use more intelligent language than "Bush is a fucking dumb-ass"...(even if it is true)... these are the messages we try to send... what a contradiction to what they learn outside the classroom..

Anyway, I digress, I would personally like to thank Michael Franti & Spearhead for speaking up and helping people become aware and find a voice. While I wish there were more doing the same, I am grateful for those who are.

My countdown is on... less than a month before I leave :-O

----------------
Now playing: Michael Franti - Time to Go Home
via FoxyTunes

No comments: