Sunday, January 6, 2008

Adventuras en España


So I have been home a week now and haven't managed to write about my trip to Spain. It's not because I don't want to, everything about the trip was wonderful. I just don't know how or where to begin.

Christmas was my first day there and so the streets of Madrid were very quiet, as was the subway ride to my hostal. It was a nice way to be introduced to Madrid because every day after that, her streets were jammed packed with people enjoying the holiday season. Definite party town, no doubt these folks know how to have a good time. Everything was so different there, the sights, the smells, the way of life. Funny things surprised me like, you cant get coffee to go... why??? I guess because if you are going to have coffee, than you you sit and enjoy it, I could get used to relaxing with cafe con leche.. what could be better?

Aside from the beauty of the streets, it's old buildings and beautiful balconies everywhere and trust me, these things are all very impressive, I was impressed by the number of park benches.... everywhere. It was nice. People just sitting soaking in the sun, mothers watching their babies playing, older gentlemen debating, couples kissing and teasing one another. Everywhere I went I could feel the passion of the people, friendly, warm and full of life.

Valenica was another part of the trip. much smaller, less crowded and on the Mediterranean Sea. Clean and pristine city, but also full of life. The train ride alone would have made this trip worthwhile, but seeing the sights of the city!! Amazing!!! So amazing in fact that, I found myself speechless on more than one occasion and spent most of the day with a lump in my throat ready to cry. Valencia is the perfect city by the sea.... I can only wonder if there are more like it... and how soon until I can go back. By the time the sea was in sight, it was dark and a bit chilly, but the feet went in anyway and danced a bit. Later the waiter said this was good luck.

On my last day in Madrid, I wandered the streets and went to el Raestro, a huge flea market with lots of goodies. By this time, I was less hesitant to attempt Spanish and was able to communicate a bit. ?Cuanto Cuesta? How much?... This was certainly an adventure. I tried to find museo del Prado...but got very lost, so I enjoyed the many benches and sites and drank too much cafe con leche. Later in the evening I met a clan Irish guys and taught them to speak New Yawk style... "How you doin'?" was the phrase of the evening...quite funny. We watched American football on a wide-screen tv while they drank their Irish beers and I enjoyed my el ron y coca. Funny to watch American Football in a foreign land and have everyone around me know more about it than me... I don't even like football, but I liked meeting people that I could speak with and it was all part of the experience.

I miss everything about my trip already and would go back tomorrow if I could...the sites, the smells, the tastes and the passion, what a beautiful place!!! I think I could like being a gringa there for a while!! Thank you Spain!! Thank You!!

No comments: