Monday, October 27, 2008


It's 11:11 PM, that's good luck right?

Anyway, a funny thing happened to me on my way to work. I was in the elevator, same as every morning, though today I was running late and in fear that my Metro ride wouldn't get me to the bus on time. The elevator has a large mirror and so usually I check myself out a bit making sure I am ready to hit the world. Instead today, I was rumbling through my bag in search of my keys. When I found them, I started to look for my car key... this is strange because I don't have a car and for a split second I was trying to figure out which was my car key.

Now, I have had a car since the age of 16 and have since not been without one until this past July 1, 2008. When I sold the car, affectionately called Salsa because of the color, I was a little freaked out but was left with a feeling of liberation. One less thing I don't have to be responsible for, one serious deduction in expenses, and less reliance on the oil, we people use to destroy the planet, get around, heat homes, produce goods, etc... Instead of the responsibility and independence of a car, I now have to be responsible to leave myself ample time to get to the bus stop by 11:20AM. For peace of mind and so that I am not the only one in Valencia rushing to get somewhere (these people seem so relaxed about getting from point A to point B) I should leave at 10:50, if I plan to have breakfast out than even earlier than that, but not much. I usually enjoy the commute it is a peaceful ride that goes passed two or three towns and the highway runs along the sea so for at least 10 minutes, I get to see el Mar MediterrĂ¡neo which pleases me.
Sometimes I share the ride with a friend on the phone which kind of feels like I have company with me and is nice. Other times I practice Spanish, occasionally I even read out loud and pretend no one can hear me. Still other days I just gaze out the window and do nothing, which is unusual for me. Most days I don't miss having a car but today I did. I can't have a car here in Spain because I can't register it, I don't have a driver's license here, I can't really afford to keep a car with insurance, garaging, gas, etc... and the truth is I don't really want to rely on a car. I like feeling like of contributing less to the consumption of oil that, as we all know, is a major source of the evils that take place in this word. I know taking the Metro and especially the bus still contributes, but less so... I keep reminding myself of that and try to remember that my day doesn't have to begin by putting my key in an ignition. It begins when I open my eyes and go from my bed to the door in my room that overlooks Valencia, and even if it is raining, as it has been so many days in this month, I smile and feel the fortune that I have found.

Back to Spanish class in the morning. Ahhhhh, 9AM!!!
Eckkkk.

Found the pic via google, it's from US 1942 WWII propaganda posters... anyone see anything like this now? Funny how conserving oil is considered propaganda (propaganda=propaganda in Spanish, I love when that heappens!!)... I try to do those things too.
Made it through Monday, just three more days left!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you put this: It begins when I open my eyes and go from my bed to the door in my room that overlooks Valencia, and even if it is raining, as it has been so many days in this month, I smile and feel the fortune that I have found.

You sound so happy/contented.

Dad

Dad